- `Nine and twenty ladies served in the Queen's hall,
Follow, my love, come in at the door!
But `bonnie Katherine Sutton was the flower among them all,
And we'll never go down to the Well any more.
- Queen `Mary decreed in her anger and her pride
Follow, my love, ...
Lady `Katherine at the Perilous Gard must abide.
And we'll never ...
- There the `fairy folk have stolen the lord's wee child away,
On `All Hallows' Eve a teind for to pay.
- But the `young lord's gone down to the Well in her stead,
And `now they are schooling him to be of the dead.
- One `night as he lay in his cell down in the stone,
`Lady Katherine heard him a-makin' his moan.
- "O `Katherine, fair Katherine, how came you here?"
"The `steward betrayed me for greed and for fear."
- "O `Katherine, fair Katherine, you cannot set me free,
But I would have you come every night and speak to me."
- One `night when she came there to speak with him alone,
His `cell it stood open and the young lord was gone.
- "'Tis the `eve of All Hallows," fair Katherine did cry,
"And I `fear they have taken off the young lord to die."
- She `ran through the fairy halls as best she knew how,
Going `out by the oak leaf with never a bough.
- She `spied from afar where the great fire gleamed
To `take the young lord's life in the paying of the teind.
- He `rode to the middle of the fairy people's ring
All in `gold and in jewels like a statue of a king.
- They be`spoke and bespelled him to cast his life away,
But `boldly Katherine answered every word they did say.
- "Be `nothing, O, be nothing," said the Guardian in grey.
"Be a `man," said fair Katherine, "and live another day."
- "You have `made your life a ruin, now leave it all behind."
"Don't `let him rob your will, you've done nothing of the kind."
- "Like a `god we give you honor in the golden things you wear."
"You `look more like the gingerbread they sell down at the fair!"
- "O `Katherine, fair Katherine, you have broken their spell,
And `brought me back alive from the threshold of Hell!"
- Now the `young lord is master of a manor rich and wide,
And `Katherine is his lady fair, always at his side.
- And the `Holy Well is drownded and the fairy people fled,
Never`more to pay a teind of the living to the dead.